Happy New Year to all our kayakers and fly fishers out there. I was reminiscing about last year’s goals and accomplishments and what I want to achieve (kind of like my fly fishing bucket list) for this upcoming year. Please post your thoughts and ideas, along with pictures!
1. Catch a limit of redfish on my fly rod. Haven’t done that. Hope to catch more than 2 (my personal best) on the fly this year.
2. Catch a Cajun saltwater slam on the fly. I’ve caught a spec and a red on the same trip. Just can’t catch the all elusive flounder on the fly.
3. Catch a bull red on the fly. Hope to do that this year. My PB is 26 inches.
4. Catch a freshwater slam (my slam was bass, bream, and catfish; achieved this year) Hope to catch a bass, bream, and sacalait on the fly in the same trip this year.
5. Catch a limit of specs on the fly (achieved in 2010 and 2011)
6. Catch my first Rios on the fly
7. Catch an offshore species in my kayak (achieved when I caught a snapper in my yak this past summer)
8. Turn more young people on to our sport. I almost have LSU shortstop, Austin Nola, ready to get into bassin’ with a fly rod.