This will be my last post of 2014. It’s been a fun, relaxing year. When I look at my numbers of fish, it looks like my production was down, especially for saltwater (speckled trout and redfish), mostly because I made fewer trips down to the marsh and my daughter got married. The wedding and the parties that followed were epic so it really doesn’t bother me at all that I didn’t get to fish as much as usual.
Dani and Dustin with a speckled trout from years ago.
Well, back to the fishing. I did manage a few firsts that made it a memorable year so here are some of the highlights:
- This year I had my first recapture of a redfish that I had tagged the previous year. I found out that the fish hadn’t moved more than about a quarter mile from where I first caught it.
- Another highlight from this year’s fishing was when I caught my personal best redfish from a kayak at 33 inches. It’s also my personal best on a fly rod. https://kevinandry.wordpress.com/2014/11/28/thanksgiving-fishing-trip/
- I also caught my first flounder on a fly.https://kevinandry.wordpress.com/2014/04/22/fishing-easter-monday-a-day-of-firsts/
- This year marks the first time I document my redfish, bass, and trout catches and I was able to catch over a hundred bass on a fly rod. That’s a hundred fish that were caught and released to grow up and fight again and that’s pretty cool.
Some of my goals for 2015 are to:
- Increase my numbers of redfish and speckled trout.
- Make a few more sacalait trips.
- Catch a new species on my fly rod. I nearly caught a mangrove snapper this past summer.
- Just have a lot of fun on the water
Happy New Year to all my subscribers!